Supporting Governors as Strategic Leaders
The Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF) – replaced by the Department for Education (DfE) in May 2010 – has stated that governing bodies are “rightly responsible and accountable in law and in practice for major decisions about the school and its future”. The governing body has overall responsibility for the way the school is run, promoting the highest standards of achievement for its pupils.
Key strategic duties of the governing body include:
- establishing a strategic framework for the school by setting the school’s values, vision and strategic aims
- agreeing plans and policies as well as targets for achieving them
- monitoring and evaluating performance to support and challenge the overall management of the school
- ensuring that the school is accountable to the children and parents it serves, to its local community, to those who fund and maintain it, as well as to the staff it employs
- ensuring that the school complies with its statutory responsibilities and requirements
We hope that you will find our good practice guidance and information in this site useful, whether you are new to school governance, looking to improve or just want to be able to find some useful things all in one place. You can also link to many other organisations and services connected with schools and school governance through our Useful Links – including the current Ofsted evaluation schedule for schools.